Sunday, November 28, 2010

Defining Family and Marriage

After following the Sister Wives controversy (see the latest link that was shared with me, Sister Wives Polygamy Case Not Being Pursued), I believe my question is about the legal and social definition of “marriage.”

Recently, I came across this report on Yahoo, via the Associated Press, Four in 10 say marriage is becoming obsolete. The article discusses the definition of marriage by highlighting the changing definition of “family.” Reportedly 1 in 3 children will spend the holidays with parents that are divorced, separated, or never married. Pew Research Center took a poll and found that 6% of children live with parents who live together but have chosen not to get married. In the same poll, 39% of Americans agreed to the response that marriage is becoming obsolete. 4 in 5 respondents felt that a heterosexual unmarried couple with children could be defined as a “family,” but the vast majority of respondents felt that only married couples without children could be considered a “family.” A legal marriage was necessary; cohabiting heterosexual couples without children could not be a family.

I think the definitional arguments of “family” help to define the meaning of “marriage” in society. Legally, marriage is many times only recognized between a man and a woman who sign a paper stating that they are agreeing to be together. However, there are unmarried heterosexual couples who legally sign closing documents on a shared home and are not given legal rights as a committed couple. How are both sides using the definition of “marriage” to inform their arguments? This is what I will be exploring in further detail throughout the rest of the blog.

1 comment:

  1. This is going to be a really interesting paper Lara!I would love to read it when you finish.

    ReplyDelete