Saturday, November 6, 2010

Switching Topics - Sister Wives

As many of you know, I am switching my topic and the title of the blog will just have to refer to the "talking" portion for the rest of the semester. I am currently facinated with the tv show, Sister Wives. Not only the idea that a very popular cable station, TLC, has launched a reality show about polygamy, but that the viewing public has overwhelmingly embraced the family. The show follows Kody Brown and his four wives, 13 children and 3 step-children as they attempt to show the viewing auidience "how normal their polygamist lifestyle is" (Crimesider, C. Black, 9/28/10).

Now, the Sister Wives stars are under investigation for polygamy (an illegal crime) in the state of Utah. What is interesting about this investigation is that is appears that the state of Utah typically does not spend time investigating polygamy unless child molestation or abuse if reported, but the decision for the family to take their lifestyle out into the open on national television has spurred the action. What is interesting here is the use of the public sphere by each side. The Brown family wanted to use the Public Sphere to spur a discussion about polygamy and to present their family as normal, or similar to a monogamous family. However, the fact that they entered the public sphere is seemingly the main reason for Utah to go after them with charges.

3 comments:

  1. There won't be any charges. The AG is petrified of setting up a test case which will overturn Utah's absurdly-worded bigamy statute (which specifically targets religious cohabiters).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lara: What I find interesting is the distinction between morality/legality that Janelle brings up at the end of the article that you cited. She stated: "If we raise productive, contributing members of society who are moral and ethical, that's our final goal, whatever their path is." This puts to our discussion in class that there is a value hierarchy going on, where the morality/ethics of the issue is deemed more important other issues, including a perceived legality.

    And, Janelle's comment in the CBS News pieces makes me think of other possible cases that could apply to this statement, including LGBTQ individuals, and the It Gets Better campaign as well as the Make It Better Now campaign. As a society, we focus a lot of trying to fit people into particular categories without always seeing the ethics of the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth, I agree and I think once I figure out which angle/theory I want to use for this, I think a few case studies will be helpful to tease out the issues.

    ReplyDelete